Name:
Location: California, United States

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Is That Contemptuous

Hello All,

As I was thinking a topic for this post, my mind drifted toward the more recent, and possibly debatable, news; and then, from the ludicrous returned to our roots.

Miss Paris Hilton’s contempt, or even mockery, of our legal system and those who actually hold authority in this nation simply feels above the law. Is it not amazing how money can manipulate any judgment? We, common citizenry, hear about celebrities purchasing penal favors. I believe this is their general attitude toward the law and not “folklore” for our ears. Miss Hilton’s mother, Kathy Hilton, made comments which are a prime example of my opinion. Driving without a license is an offense punishable by the law; especially, if the individual signs a document acknowledging and later repeats this offense. I consider an “Average Person” will not be afforded the second chance, plus Miss Hilton’s “blowing off” a court ordered enrollment in a substance abuse class! I say, “Thank goodness for any adjudicator who upholds the law without bias!” But, just how far should we take this? I mean, the Law is the Law, right?

Next we have the Simpson case, with Mr. Simpson Court Ordered to pay over $33 million to the Goldman family. With his Heisman Trophy seized as an asset, Simpson immediately left the state, repositioned his funds and never followed up on his judgment. You ask of his royalties- The State of California protects a person’s pension from being used to satisfy any judgment. Then, mocking the system arrived with his attempted publishing of a book illustrating how “he would have committed the crime.” I ask again, just how far should we take this?

Have we forgotten our basic rights? Or, have the Law Makers, who we have placed into power, experienced a memory lapse of their purpose? Do we truly remember the Preamble to the United States Constitution?

“We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.”

What happened to “Establish Justice, Domestic Tranquility, and General Welfare”? I guess it depends as the pocket deepens.

Be Safe,

Reach

3 Comments:

Blogger Stepping Over the Junk said...

inside, she might be thinking "45 days, I can do 45 days and then when I get out I can sell my story to ET and Insider for a bundle!"

I am glad she is going in...as I was Martha Stewart...merely because it is fair.

Mon May 07, 02:54:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Reach said...

So True

Mon May 07, 03:39:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Seven said...

Yes, I hear you loud and clear on this one. I think a clear phrase is 'more perfect'. The authors seemed to understand that we were less than perfect in the 1770's.
Have we let them down? Maybe.
I have seen this "privilege of wealth' up close in my community. It is truly unattractive. It is also a breeding ground for the contempt you describe.

Tue May 08, 07:39:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home