1. You must first learn to pronounce the city name. It is 'FEE-NICKS'.
2. The morning rush hour is from 5:00 am to noon. The evening rush hour is from noon until 7:00 pm. Friday's rush hour starts on Thursday morning.
3. The minimum acceptable speed on most freeways is 85 mph. On Loop 101, your speed is to match the highway number. Anything less is considered a 'wuss'.
4. Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. Phoenix has its own version of traffic rules. For example, cars/trucks with the loudest muffler go first at a four-way stop; the trucks with the biggest tires go second. However, East Valley, SUV-driving, cell phone-talking moms ALWAYS have the right of way.
5. If you actually stop at a yellow light, you will be rear ended, cussed out, and possibly shot.
6. Never honk at anyone, NEVER; this offense is another that will get you shot, seriously!
7. Road construction is permanent and continuous in Phoenix. The relocating of detour barrels during the middle of the night is for your entertainment pleasure, to make the next day's drive more exciting.
8. Watch carefully for road hazards such as drunks, skunks, dogs, barrels, cones, cows, horses, cats, mattresses, shredded tires, squirrels, rabbits, crows, vultures, roadrunners, and the coyotes feeding on any of these items.
9. Maricopa Freeway, Papago Freeway, and the 'I-10' are the same road. SR-202 is the same road as The Red Mountain FWY. Dunlap and Olive is the same street, too. Jefferson becomes Washington, but they are not the same street.
I-17 also called The Black Canyon Freeway, as well as, The Veterans Memorial Highway, and if all that is not enough to remember, SR-51 has recently been renamed Piestewa Freeway because Squaw Peak Parkway was too easy pronounce.
SR-101 is also the Pima FWY, except west of I-17, which is also The Black Canyon FWY, and The Veterans Memorial HWY, west of I-17, it is known as the Agua Fria FWY. Lastly, Thunderbird Rd. becomes Cactus Rd., but Cactus Rd. does not become Thunderbird Rd. because it dead-ends at a mountain.
10. If someone actually has their turn signal on, wave them to the shoulder immediately to let them know it has been 'accidentally activated.
11. If you are in the left lane and only driving 70 in a 55-65 mph zone, considered a road hazard, you will be 'flipped off' accordingly. If you return the flip as a gesture of courtesy, you will be shot.
12. For summer driving, it is advisable to wear potholders on your hands.