Name:
Location: California, United States

Friday, March 02, 2007

A Beach Revisited

Hello All,

Well, March is here and my friends from the north are back in town. This year, unlike last, I will be taking them up on their offer whether I am physically capable or not. As some of you may remember, I have been invited to take a few jumps with an elite Sky-Diving team. Though I am not certified, they have assured me there will be no problems in getting me back in the air. I find it funny that I can no longer fly airplanes, due to my medical certification loss, and here I am going to be joining up mid-air with a full competition team.

I have seen other people repost articles of their past and I would like to repost one of mine. Now that I have some new readers, I ask the others to please bare with me on this one. So, if you are new to Reaching in, I bring you Waves.

For the past 24 hours, I have held the undeniable urge to write about waves. Not those found in the air or light, but the ones surrounding our coasts.
Many Marine Biologists state the ocean is a living, breathing body. With every living creature playing a role in its eco system, much like the life giving cells of any living thing.

Growing up a surfer, my friends and I have always believed every wave holds and exhibits its own characteristic, making it unique in its own existence.
A person can live on the same beach for most of their life and not see the same wave twice. How can this be?
The rise and fall of the ocean floor is the forming factor for each wave; and, as each wave breaks, the sandy surface of the floor will shift, thereby, changing the angles of the floor ever so slightly to create a newly formed surface for the next wave. It is with this information in mind; we believe each wave has only one, short life.
A surfer may not be the best, or worst, as they attempt to ride the next set of waves.

However, considering the life expectancy of this one wave, a surfer must honor and respect that which only exists for a short time. In doing this, the rider must give this ride his/her best effort, for this ride will never happen again. Even the waves respect one another; in that, they will follow each other to the shore. When two or more collide, they generate a force that will be viewed in awe for the magnificence they create.

How does this apply to us?

There are many aspects in our lives, which resemble the waves. Some of us take our careers, or families, for granted; yet, each is just like the wave. As we drive to work, do we think of the day’s goals and not as this day only existing this one time? How would one person react, if they were to begin thinking in the terms of the wave? Would a person not change their interaction with their loved ones?
Their Friends?
Themselves?
Their co-workers or a stranger on the street?
Moreover, what about those waves that collide, could we not view this as those people whose personalities clash? I have had times, when I would “test the waters of a storm”, only to find I do not belong on this beach. My communication is like the paddling of a surf board, as I try to place myself into that position to best ride the wave. It is at times like those, that I have found the best solution is to return to the beaches I know and wait for another set- for I am not a storm rider.

The distinction and significance of every moment is ours, for this ride is short and will never happen again;
Finally, the best part arrives at the end of the day, as it will be the time to celebrate the next set of waves.

Be Safe,

Reach

1 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

Thank you for the nice comment on my blog Reach. Nice to have you back!

Fri Mar 02, 10:09:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home