Name:
Location: California, United States

Monday, April 24, 2006

The Spin Doctor

Hello All,
I truly appreciate the input that I have received from my request. These can help me with future posts.

As a child of a United State Navy “Doc”, our family has traveled the world, learning and participating in many diverse cultures. Always stationed at an Air Station, my Dad imparted much opportune information to my Mother and me. Continually around Naval Aviators, I grew up with a frequent desire of flight. The only applicable problems to a young child, who is planning their future life, would be the “Nay-Sayers”, to which I had listened. I have worn corrective lenses since an early age and as everybody could tell you- well at least they decided to tell me, “One must have 20-20 vision to fly airplanes.”

Many years later, I am sitting in the pack of other surfers on my surf board, waiting for the line up to swing my way in Hawaii. My friend John and I had just received one week off due to an aircraft malfunction, and the maintenance team would not be able to address it until the parts arrive. With the day off, John and I rented a convertible car and some surf boards with the hopes of another surfing safari beginning just outside of Honolulu. John was talking to some locals while we were waiting for the next set of waves. My mind was drifting in and out of the conversation with the following thoughts, “This is paradise, and how did I come to this moment”. Because I am in the Air force and the plane broke- no too fundamental. “What was the corner stone of my joining the Air Force and to fly?” Now there are the questions!

Mid 1980’s and I was working graveyard shift for a major Japanese Corporation in their Laboratory. I lived in a condominium over-looking Naval Air Station Mira Mar, home to the “Top Gun” school of aviation. On a clear day, we could look from our balcony and see the Coronado Island’s, Mexico. My roommates were my girlfriend and my cousin, both of which were out of work and I mainly paid the bills as we struggled- so they thought.
This particular night, falling on a weekend, my cousin asked if he and I could take a walk around the neighborhood, before dinner that my girlfriend was preparing. I agreed and away we went out into the darkness. We spoke of many things, of which, one was how he was sleeping with my girlfriend while I was working. He apologized and I was extremely angry. Then he asked me to hit him for his indiscretion. I wanted to and he wanted me to do it, but I could not give him everything that he wanted.
So, what do you do when your relative and girlfriend cheat on you?

Join the Air Force, learn to fly and escape the confines of this ground we call the Planet Earth.

Back in Hawaii and as I sat there, viewing the beauty that is Hawaii, I now began to think about “spin class”. No, not the Physical Training, but Emotional Training, and I realized that I love this thing that I call “My Life”. Had I continued to listen to the “Nay-Sayers”, I would have never entered the field of my dreams. To my readers, never listen to the “Nay-Sayers” as they will do everything in their power to restrain you from your dreams and desires.
Additionally, had those two people in my life chosen to do the stand up thing by approaching me with integrity, my life would have turned out differently. This is the “Spin Doctor” effect. We live, view, perceive, and learn from our experiences. Why take a horrible event, hold it in for “simmering”, and not move on? Why not view/perceive the positive “Spin” and appreciate that which hurts us for the growth it will lead?
As for the players:
They are married, and I have not spoken to them since. As I move around the world, I have heard of his jealousy of my journeys. Moreover, I am jealous not having somebody at home with anticipation of seeing me again. All this being said,

I attest the old saying to be accurate, “The grass IS always greener, on the other side of the fence.” But, that depends on who's side of the fence you are standing.

Reach

8 Comments:

Blogger Reach said...

Cool, thank you H.

Reach

Mon Apr 24, 04:47:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Melissa said...

People can be such dicks. Your cousin and your ex? Prime examples.

Tue Apr 25, 06:34:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Seven said...

The ability to stand outside ourselves and perceive the totality of our experience through an honest and searching lens, then find some measure of truth and understanding from the effort is the mark of maturity and wisdom. Well done.

Tue Apr 25, 09:16:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Reach said...

I thank all of you for your remarks as I embark on this voyage of deeper recognition and understanding, of who I am as the whole person.
This adventure, into the city of Blogdome, is and has become rewarding.

Reach

Tue Apr 25, 11:37:00 AM PDT  
Blogger booda baby said...

What a great story and even better, great perspective. It's so easy to take an entirely different position, but yours HAS to be the best way to live a fantastic life.

Wed Apr 26, 03:46:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Reach said...

Booda Baby,
Thank you for such nice comment.

Reach

Wed Apr 26, 05:12:00 PM PDT  
Blogger T.H. Elliott said...

Wow, that's a cool story. I especially like the "how did I come to this moment."

I would have snapped had that happened to me. My cousin sleeping with my girlfriend, while we were all living together and I was paying the bills.

There would have been some broken furniture and boxes out in the street.

Thu Apr 27, 05:43:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Sideways Chica said...

Dear Reach...wonderful post...and yes, I am back in town. By the way, I like your broad "reach" here. Bravo!

Ciao my friend.

Mon May 01, 11:00:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home