Name:
Location: California, United States

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Why! Why, What?

Why does the word “Why” carry such strength in the area of research in the Scientific Community? Today I am only asking a question of “Why”. I have no intensions making any one person, group of persons, or Organization, singled out.

In 1999, the critically acclaimed movie “The Sixth Sense”, held high earnings at the box office when released. I witnessed no world wide reaction of boycott or protests, to the extent of headline news of this fictional film. Likewise, 1988 brought the movie “The Seventh Sign” and the General Public viewed this film as “fiction”.

2003, I had a recommendation from a friend to read a new novel, “Sure to bring many communities into a rage”, he told me. It was at this time that I first read the works of Novelist Dan Brown and found myself enjoying his style and technique. He carried me forward in a “fictional” story of Drama, Suspense, and Intrigue. The book, “The Da Vinci Code” held true to the foresight of my friend by making a world wide debate of its contents. Three years after publishing, the book spawned a movie, due to be released next month; a law suit of “Copyright Infringement” (Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh vs. Random House Publishing); and many rebuttals from the religious communities. As previously mentioned, I have read and enjoyed this fictional story; however, what comes to my mind is the beginning of the book when it distinguishes fact from fiction. Now, with the movie set for release next month, I am forced to ask the question of “Why a boycott”.

I can imagine money as a primary motive for much of this controversy, i.e. the money earned by numerous authors in rebuttal; but what fears are the religious leaders sensing, for them to call for a boycott? What is it about this story, to place so many people on the defense? If the story is fiction, why have they not attacked, to this degree, the stories of the past?

“Psychological projection (or projection bias) can be defined as unconsciously assuming that others have the same or similar thoughts, beliefs, values, or positions on any given subject as oneself. According to the theories of Sigmund Freud, it is a psychological defense mechanism whereby one "projects" one's own undesirable thoughts, motivations, desires, feelings—basically parts of oneself—onto someone else (usually another person, but psychological projection onto animals and inanimate objects also occurs). The principle of projection is well-established in psychology.” - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

As so many communities are bringing this issue to light, through their defensive behavior, when, if left alone, do they not realize the story would have become just another book, or movie? I am certain those, who are making money off of each release, are thankful for the publicity.

Just a thought

Reach

6 Comments:

Blogger T.H. Elliott said...

I need to read the book, but I agree witht the pyschological projection theory. People do that with just about everything.

It's amazing in this supposedly more enlightened day and age to. People have their own set in stone opinions, and they just assume other people think exactly the same.

I was talking about evolution and science with a very religious person recently, and they actually said, "you don't beleive in all that stuff, do you?"

Don't get me wrong, it's okay to disagree with someone's opinion, and have your own, but it's wrong to assume someone is an idiot simply because they think you're wrong.

Thu Apr 27, 05:47:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Seven said...

The reaction is based on fear. Fear that what they believe is questioned.
This is the touchstone of faith is it not? To believe in what you believe to a level unshaken by a separate opinion.
This too is the fine line between closed and opened minds.
Where does the curve intersect where our faith in what we believe is unshakeable and where our minds become closed to new truth?

Thu Apr 27, 08:23:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Reach said...

I noticed both of you touch upon the same fundamental thought.
Where do we draw the line, as the object of our faith is questioned by the justificational, momentary evidence?

It is funny about the Human mind; if I handed a blind-folded, mentally and optically mired, person a sour lemon and had previously convinced them it was a sweet orange- they would speak of this fantastic tasting orange.

Our minds control so much of our senses, how do we know what is real without faith?

I am happy to see the comments are aligning with my thoughts as I authored this post- thank you.

Reach

Thu Apr 27, 09:12:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Valerie said...

I did delete a post. :) thanks for noticing.

Thu Apr 27, 08:57:00 PM PDT  
Blogger jane said...

Those silly people, they should know that the more they tell people not to see it, the more they will see it.

Sat Apr 29, 09:38:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Sideways Chica said...

Dear Reach...I throughly enjoyed your post and agree with you. Having said that,I am wondering if you are okay...perhaps traveling sans laptop as I was last week. I noticed you did not post on my site last week, and well, I guess I am a worrier. Let me know that all is going well in your world.

Ciao.

Mon May 01, 01:51:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home