Name:
Location: California, United States

Friday, July 07, 2006

OK, it turned out long.....

Hello All,
The following may be long, or this may turn out to be a short post. Anyway, I say this to illustrate my confusion and uncertainty of this articles destination.
I have been experiencing secondary problems with my legs, which has precluded my Physical Therapy. Knowing this, my limb continues to degenerate- and I feel the frustration from the lack of exercise. 30 June was the “deadline” for the Medical Board’s decision on whether I can remain in the military, or, be forced into retirement (with less than I deserve monetarily), or, plainly forced into civilian life with nothing to speak of these past military years. Well, I do have photos (Oh-boy).
On 2 July, some friends decided I would find pleasure in visiting the San Diego Fair. As tradition dictates, not out of belief, but more along the lines of amusement or even humor, we visited the Physic Readers Tent. Many times in the past I have laughed at the explanations given by those who “Read”. On the second day of the month of July, I proclaimed, “Holy Shit”. This lady blew me away. Upon entry, and the first words out of her mouth, she said, “You have had a very tough, past three years”. I thought, “What the heck”. Ok, my mind may have said something more “vulgar”, but I have no need to write it in this forum.
This woman completely described my life as I have known it to be; mind you, I made not one sound, smile, sigh, or gesture to her comments. I observed her to completely ignore my face. I do not know anything about this stuff, and really do not believe in it; however, if this was luck, she ventured beyond that point. So, we know understand my mind set.
On 3 July, with no word from the board, I find out that I have been furloughed (laid off) by my civilian employer. This not only affected me, but everyone in their employment. The company is closing its doors due to the high cost of fuel. Damn!
Today, I learned of the board’s decision regarding my future. I will be released back to full military service as soon as my Physical Therapy concludes. I am to be released back to my civilian employer.
Please do not read this in a cynical mind set, for I am not there. I am completely amazed at these turn of events and how expedient a broken process can be, well, at least in my observation.
I shall post again tomorrow, so, to all- a good night.

Reach

3 Comments:

Blogger Sideways Chica said...

Dear Reach...how parallel (if vulgar) this fubar of sytems is as regards an article I plan to write soon. I believe it will be called..."It's just not that important to them."

I am glad you are not cynical, but noting the irony with a wry (albeit) painful grin. This shows you are healing where it counts most - in your soul.

Ciao buddy...be well, inside and out!

Sat Jul 08, 09:44:00 AM PDT  
Blogger T.H. Elliott said...

I'm confused, are you going back to the military, or civilian employment?

"I will be released back to full military service as soon as my Physical Therapy concludes. I am to be released back to my civilian employer."

Regardless, I hope you have a swift recovery.

Mon Jul 10, 01:29:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Reach said...

Todd,
I see the confusion and I apologize as I thought it was widely known that I am a Reservist. A "Weekend Warrior", taken from my civilian work and placed into full time Military Service. Beginning about twelve years ago, or more, the Government decided to utilize the reserve force as a supplemental force to the ever decreasing Active Duty force. At this time, and with Operation Iraqi Freedom, the majority of US forces are Reservists.
I hope this will add some clearification. Also, I've not had my coffee, so I hope the spelling and grammar proves to be correct.

Reach

Tue Jul 11, 07:50:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home