Name:
Location: California, United States

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Is it still sensitive?

Hello All,
As I have previously commented on the topic of Mr. Karr, I could not find it in myself to believe his guilt in the Ramsey case. I do not know why; call it instinct or just a “Gut Feeling”, but I required more than just the word of the Prosecution saying, “We’ll tell you more later”. Yet, as I watched the Circus, we call “The Media”, his guilt was declared and the sentencing phase was beginning. CNN talk show hosts were all over this man, by interviewing everybody who would step forward- only to prove Andy Warhol correct in their 15 Minutes.

In 1980, the two security managers of my place of employment were fired on the grounds of selling narcotics to the young patrons. In retaliation, late one Friday night, our busiest hour, they decided a “Drive-By” shooting was in order. Two individuals, each my friend, died at the hand of these thugs and their rampage. I was present, but not hurt physically. The next day, our local paper was certain to have the lead story with their 24 hour harassment of questions. Until, two young children filled with rumor were happy to comply with the “Reporter’s” questions. On the third day, I was pronounced dead!

What is it like to read your own obituary? Not Fun!

Not Fun to answer the phone calls, one after the other, to explain the misprint. Not Fun to find people crying, and then experience their anger, over, and over, and over again. Imagine, two weeks of explaining. Imagine a newspaper editor, standing behind his reporter and not issuing an amendment to the article. Imagine, standing before a man to convince him of your life, and the furtherance of said life only to meet, his denial! Two weeks of Not Fun.

Why could I not believe Mr. Karr’s guilt? I, unlike our media, who we finance through sells, required proof. It is too bad, that such a business does not issue any apologies. While Mr. Karr is not a person I would call a friend, associate, or even acquaintance, I do not know him and I will not prejudge any person in the way of our media. I am not certain of him as dangerous or a threat; however, what right does the media have, even under the First Amendment, to label him as they have done?

OK, I am off of my Soap Box.

Reach

3 Comments:

Blogger Seven said...

Reach,
Do you have an acccount of the hereafter?
I think this is sometimes about revenue (breaking story) and sometimes just professional sloth. That must have been a horrible experience for your friends and loved ones!

Wed Aug 30, 06:47:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Sideways Chica said...

Dear Reach...did you read my article "Bad News Bears." I touch on the sensationalism and speculation of today's broad definition of journalism.

Ciao for now...hope you are doing well. ;)

Sat Sep 09, 10:49:00 AM PDT  
Blogger T.H. Elliott said...

I hate the media. They jump to any conclusion, and speculate, and it's mostly crap. It's so hard to find the real news these days.

Mon Sep 18, 02:10:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home