Name:
Location: California, United States

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Play That Funk Music

Hello All,

So, I’ve thought about my attitude and posting of late. Though there are numerous words I have selected for a description, one seemed to appear again and again; that is, until I decided to ensure my definition correct. You see, I have fallen into a “writer’s block”, a wall no getting around, a depression, or funk in my ideas as to conclusions of each topic.

"Funk"
Definition:
1.
a. a state of cowardly fright; panic
b. a state of severe depression
2. a cowardly, fearful person
3. Music
a. musical style: popular music that derives from jazz, blues, soul and is characterized by a heavy rhythmic bass and back beat
b. earthy musical quality: a rhythmic earthy quality in music (slang)
4. U.S. lack of worldliness: lack of sophistication, especially the kind of simplicity or naiveté thought by some to be characteristic of rural or provincial areas (slang)


OK, “Writers Block” it is and no longer will I use the word “Funk” to any writing abilities- or lack of.

With this information before me, I wondered how this word became attached to music. Jazz originally drew on ragtime, gospel, black spiritual songs, West African rhythms, and European harmonies. Developed from African American folk songs in the early 20th century, Blues music, consisting mainly of slow sad songs often performed over a repeating harmonic pattern. Soul music is a style of African American popular music with a strong emotional quality related to Gospel music.

Even the “down” beat of blues does not come relatively close to “Severe Depression.” Well, Funk originated in the 1960’s with performers such as James Brown, Sly and the Family Stone and emerged as a distinct genre by the 1970’s. Characterized by intensely syncopated, danceable rhythms with the emphasis falling heavily on the first beat of every measure; prominent bass lines; a distinctive, razor-sharp type of rhythm guitar; chanted or yelling vocals in the style of Soul; powerful, rhythm -oriented horns; a strong emphasis on percussion, often including hand drums and other instruments as well as computerized or drum kits with African and Jazz influences. Funk music shaped and induced Disco and Hip Hop music as we know it today. My has the course of music diverted through history and at every corner lies the "Fork In The Road".

What this has to do with Writers Block, I ask.

Be Safe,

Reach

3 Comments:

Blogger Seven said...

Well, clearly nothing at all but it appears to have solved the problem. When I was in high school I listened with reverence to James Brown, Ray Charles, and The Supremes. My friends made a lot of fun of me cuz they were all hyper white and cool listening to the Byrds, Beatles, and Monkees?
And now these many years later they can have the Byrds et al, I'll still take that James and Ray funk! Although James certainly let me down on the behavioral end.

Tue Feb 06, 07:46:00 PM PST  
Blogger Sideways Chica said...

Dear Reach...you know how I love (as you do) etymology. But I have a problem now...the song lyric "Play that funky music..." keeps running through my head. Please come up with another word soon so I can get rid of it. Now I'm actually humming it aloud. ;)

Stop by soon...ciao for now.

P.S. Thanks for your votes...I made it to the finals. If you get the chance (and think I'm deserving) please vote again before the 13th. XXXXXX

Thu Feb 08, 05:14:00 PM PST  
Blogger T.H. Elliott said...

Hmm, can you build anything with writer's blocks?

Mon Feb 12, 12:26:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home