Name:
Location: California, United States

Monday, July 10, 2006

A Man(s) Got(s) tah Nose!

Hello All,
I remember when I first joined this game of flight. One of my Instructors/Mentors, once said to me, “To thy own self, be true”, he continued with, “What do you think this means”? After I fumbled for an answer that would appease his question, he then said, “No, it means- A mans gots ta knows-- his limitations”.
As we drive our automotive vehicles on the highways and byways, we must observe the speed limit. Does this mean that is the designed fastest speed of the vehicle? No. I am certain most vehicles will easily exceed such speeds. Conversely, an aircraft must remain within many configurations with the careful observation to the airframe's limitations. For any aircrew to contravene one factor could be detrimental. A mans gots ta knows-- his limitations!
With an inevitable doom, called unemployment, looming over my immediate future, I have been attempting to refocus all of my energy into procuring a potential income. This has been weighing heavy on my conscience and I have needed a break. Just short of a vacation, an item much prohibited in my current situation, I needed to take the Jeep out for a therapeutic drive. However, this form of meditative transportation has been sitting in the garage, housing a major repair.
The engine that I have planned and built just distributes too much power and resulted in the shearing of a rear leaf spring centering pin. Tore one side of the axle completely off of the leaf springs and allowed it to shift in the wheel well. This was only the foundation of the problem, as the actual problem came from fear. A mans gots ta knows-- his limitations.
My fear of the springs came at an early age as I witnessed a friend,
A home style mechanic,
A hobbyist;
Receive a rapidly uncoiling spring with his head. This, to a young child, this young child, became traumatic, not to mention to that individual’s family. Therefore, I mustered up my will and made two separate attempts to fix my problem, by raising the frame and crawling under the chassis. Each time, I watched as the loosened springs expanded uncontrollably, demonstrating their dormant force, right next to my head. A mans gots ta knows-- his limitations.
This last weekend I picked the Jeep up from the mechanic’s shop, and they did a great job of replacing two new centering pins and the Jeep is running fantastic.
Following this rejuvenation, I happened to speak to somebody special from my past. We spoke of many things, of which, why we went our separate ways. I learned she has been harboring ill feelings, for more than 15 years, as to why she could not keep me. An Attractive and Intelligent woman, she has no problem on the topic of attracting and keeping any man. Of course, there is always the exception to the rule. During our conversation, I explained my emotional state- of the time we were as one; and how, with my focus being professional and my lack of maturity, I was never fair to her.
A truly gifted and developed person, she is far more forgiving than I am, regarding this segment of my past personal history. Though I may not be happy with my prior actions, I shall be happy in never repeating them. A mans gots ta knows-- his limitations.

To my Mentor, Instructor, and Friend, even in Boston it is fun to take the Jeep, not the "Caw", to the off road “Pahk”, and just relax. Did I mention I may be getting a Gold Wing, by Honda?

Reach

4 Comments:

Blogger T.H. Elliott said...

Great post, I liked that. You just gots ta know.

Any chance of things springing back up after a fifteen year hiatus? (pun intended).

Tue Jul 11, 09:56:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Seven said...

Very good post with the recurring theme and a true one it is. Many times I have regreted an action as a result of misunderstanding my limitations!
Maybe more difficult as you well describe is when another persons life is impacted by their misunderstanding of our limitations!

Tue Jul 11, 09:57:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Reach said...

Todd,
I do not know the future, nor would lend myself for speculation.

Gawd, talk about riding the fence on that answer...LOL

Reach

Tue Jul 11, 10:09:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Sideways Chica said...

Dear Reach...I enjoyed your post, and hearing your voice again.

Nice pun T.H. - intended or not!

Ciao...

Wed Jul 12, 09:55:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home