Name:
Location: California, United States

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Remember

Hello All,
Saturday night was our Military Ball. During the opening ceremonies, one tradition continues to shred at the heart; it is for this reason, I will share this event with you incase you have never had the honor to experience.

Picture in your mind one single table set aside from the rest and near the head table of the room. With respect, each member who walks near the table remembers. After we were welcomed and had taken our seats, a voice rings throughout the room. One single voice of a female narrates this ceremony to remember.



“As you entered the banquet hall this evening, you may have noticed a small table in a place of honor. It is set for five to honor each branch of service. This table is our way of symbolizing the fact that members of our profession of arms are missing from our midst.

Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard.

They are commonly called POWs or MIAs; we call them "Brothers." They are unable to be with us this evening and so we remember them.

This Table set for five -- Symbolizing the frailty of prisoners alone against oppressors. Remember!

The Tablecloth is white -- Symbolizing the purity of their intentions to respond to their country's call to arms. Remember!

The single Red Rose displayed in a vase reminds us of the families and loved ones of our comrades-in-arms who keep the faith awaiting their return. Remember!

The Red Ribbon tied so prominently on the vase is reminiscent of the red ribbon worn upon the lapel and breasts of thousands who bear witness to their unyielding determination to demand a proper accounting of our missing. Remember!

The Candle, the candle is lit -- Symbolizing the upward reach of their unconquerable spirit. Remember!

A Slice of Lemon is on the bread plate to remind us of their bitter fate. Remember!
There is Salt upon the bread plate -- Symbolic of the families tears as they wait. Remember!

The Glass is inverted, as they cannot toast with us this night; however, on this occasion the glasses are placed upright -- honor those who will join us in spirit. Remember!

The Chair -- The chair is empty. They are not here. Remember!

Remember! -- All of you who served with them and called them comrades, who depended upon their might and aid, and relied upon them, for surely, they have not forsaken you. Remember!

Remember! -- Until the day they come home, Remember!"

A remembered thought,

Reach

3 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

First, let me say that I have the upmost respect for all of our military serving. My Grandfather, Father and Brother all served in the military and all were in wars.
Second, although there are times that I do not agree with this war, I will always, support and back all of the troops who continue to protect this country.
Reach, thank you for sharing this story, it touched my heart!

Mon Nov 20, 09:34:00 AM PST  
Blogger Sideways Chica said...

Dear Reach...wonderful, poignant. Thank you for sharing. I have learned something valuable this day because of you. I intend to pass this on...

Ciao for now my friend...I'm sad I don't have the time to blog around much, but I think of you regularly. I hope you are well.

Mon Nov 20, 09:59:00 AM PST  
Blogger Reach said...

Holly,
I am so happy that a part of my life, and its traditions, have touched you- thank you

Teri,
I, too, think of you and Mr. F often. Though I've not left a comment from last week, I have visited and read your article. I can not wait to see the results, as you pass this information.


Reach

Mon Nov 20, 10:32:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home