Name:
Location: California, United States

Monday, November 27, 2006

The cost of friendhsip

Hello All,

Today I had a follow-up visit with my primary doctor about my ankle. With a two hour drive to meet him, I was not certain that I should go. You see, much of the military is out-sourced to include medical- my medical. Not that most of the medical out-sourcing is my case I just want to clarify that part.

Since I can no longer serve on Active Duty Orders and the member must be on Orders to be seen by a physician, I wondered if Tri-Care would cover this visit. Amazingly enough, my fear was correct and they don’t and would not. I spoke to the young lady at the front desk and she was kind enough to contact Tri-Care on my behalf with this question.

Receiving the phone to speak with their representative I asked, “With whom am I speaking”. A very nice and pleasant female voice on the other end abruptly responded, “Tri-Care!!” I could see the direction this phone call was to head.

I explained my situation, that this was a follow-up visit from an injury sustained during deployment in Operation Iraqi Freedom. She explained she could do nothing about my current situation and if I needed the appointment- I must pay for the visit. So, now it appears that all medical needs for an injury that Tri-Care previously covered 100% now falls upon my unemployed pocket. Hey, that’s ok because something absolutely fantastic came from this conversation.

I explained my situation to my Doctor, who established our “Friendship” at being over three years. He said, “I know physicians should not befriend their patients; however, I truly feel that I know and like you. I have many patients, who I’ve been seeing for more than five years and I could not tell you their names if I saw them on the street.” While this quote may sound poor for a physician, please keep in mind that he was the primary physician for an entire Air Force Reserve Base during its mobilization, close to 3,000 members, added to his current patients!

After my visit today, I mentioned to him my desire to continue our professional relationship, and when this is all behind us to be better friends.

Today, I paid $57.00 that a corporation held responsibility; however, I walked away with a stronger friendship. I’m the winner!

Reach

4 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

Reach,
I don't know the whole story about the medical thing but it seems kind of wrong that they can do that to you. Anyway,(trying not to get mad about that) you're right, you are the winner and a better person for it!

:0)

Tue Nov 28, 12:17:00 PM PST  
Blogger Reach said...

Holly,
Thank you for your continued support. I do enjoy when you leave comments.

Reach

Tue Nov 28, 05:49:00 PM PST  
Blogger Seven said...

What is surprising is that I didn't know corporations could actually speak, although it may only be an overblown sense of importance on the representative's part!

Wed Nov 29, 06:17:00 AM PST  
Blogger Holly said...

Reach,

When are you going to post again? I'm dying here! LOL

Wed Dec 06, 11:17:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home