Name:
Location: California, United States

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Sparky

Hello,
In the past, I have opened my window for you to see who guides and presents my thoughts of the moment. I have walked you down a guided tour of where I am, where I will go, and presented to you some thoughts and dreams. In a mildly Steven King way, I’ve opened a small dark door and examined part of why I am today. I’ve been playful, with little games of awareness in playing these questionnaire “tags”.
As the sun shines through the forest, we can see a morning light- for hear comes some pleasures of what I call my life.

I have briefly touched about my “animal magic”. Here are some more, so sit back, poor a drink and light ‘em if ya got ‘em.

I knew at an early age of my ability to approach frightened or angry animals. At 5 years old, I think, my parents placed me on my first memorable horse. I did not hold the reins, nor did I grip with my legs and this huge animal did everything I desired. While camping, something my family has done more times than one can count, I could venture into the wilderness and make a new friend. I have been fortunate to walk up on bears, in Yosemite, or play a game of hide and seek with a wild fox. And, it in return, chased me and let me barely keep up with it.
In my surfing days, I would love to surf the Ponto break. If anybody comes to this area and holds a desire to watch the natural dolphin, go to Ponto and watch them play in the surf. They will even play around you in the water.
While sitting on my board, I could see them swimming all around me, and I just wanted to dive in and swim with them. I guess the point came when they had decided enough was enough and the next thing I knew, one was floating right next to my board. I could see one eye and it was watching me. As my desire grew to reach out and touch this oceanic mammal, its body drift into my leg and my hand instinctively flinched into the touch that my soul, so deeply desired. This form of communication lasted only a few seconds, but there was to be a return opportunity, to which I was not hesitant. I had made a new friend and I swam with a dolphin.
As I became a High-School student, and was dating a wonderful girl who owned competition horses, my equestrian days returned. The quality of animals they had was extraordinary. Todd had asked about my invitations to join Olympic teams. I know I have only written about one, but there were more. This was the first- as a rider. “Sparky” was a best friend, confident, and team mate. I was young, immature, and a typical teen with many “irons in the fire”. One of my most favorable memories came with riding Sparky. To ride a jumper and feel the calm serenity of a leisure walk will surprise the smallest of hairs on the back of your neck, as you feel the rush of power when he lines up for a jump. Thank you Squeak.
Horses speak a different language, but they do speak to you, if you will listen. Sparky’s ears would turn forward and focus on the jump. His head would slightly dip as his neck lengthened and you could feel the muscles in his back tighten. At that moment, one would know the calm before the storm has ended and the “front” was on and about to take you away. The world around you both would blur, (just as the movies would have you believe) as you focus on the upcoming jump too. As nature would intend, you hold on to anything you can, for the animal and your mount are about to run off from under you. For only a moment, because this is the only time you have for distractions, you can sense the speed you have acquired in just a few of strides with every part of your body and soul. As I write this to inform you, the reader, I am taken back to those moments and I can feel my heart and soul again.
This was only one adventure.
And for that visual, there were many times we would hitch up the sulky to "Balls" and go down to the local fast food drive through. It was funny, considering this is southern California in a non-farming community, the "Jack-in-the-Box" manager would train their new hires on weekend mornings. Imagine, the trainee just learning how to run the register and this horse would stick its head through the window. Well, it was a time.

Night

Reach

3 Comments:

Blogger jane said...

omgosh, i can just imagine what that must've been like for the new hires. the jump sounds absolutely glorious. how wonderful to have those memories. thank you for sharing.

Tue Mar 14, 05:18:00 PM PST  
Blogger Melissa said...

When I graduated college, I decided to take some kind of continuing education class to keep myself occupied when I wasn't working. Imagine my utter surprise and glee to discover that one of the courses offered was horseback riding lessons! I signed up immediately for that class and it was one of the greatest things I've ever done.

Wed Mar 15, 06:00:00 AM PST  
Blogger T.H. Elliott said...

I used to ride horses, but I was really any good at it. I just liked going on trail rides through the woods, and across streams.

Swimming with dolphins, that sounds cool. I went snorkeling one time and had a little fish that swam right in front of my goggles the whole time. He was cool.

Wed Mar 15, 11:44:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home