Name:
Location: California, United States

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Rough Edges

Aside from my poor writing skills, I include myself in a vast group of aspiring writers with the hope of one day being published. My imagination is extremely vivid and usually draws upon my own experiences. As I hear or read a story, I can actually watch it play out in my mind. This includes so many aspects from color, sound, and even smell.
When I decided to venture down this avenue, I did not understand the concepts of the people who were already playing on this street in Blog City. These abilities that I have witnessed are astounding. Each of you bring forward the gift of word smithery and with your talents; you let me know just how far behind I really am in this game of story telling. As with my ventures, practice will take me to the level I desire. Your “openness” to express your lives, families, and feelings is very much inspiring for me. Here is a story about my past that is not related to my typical aviation, surfing, and sometimes Jeeping.
At an early age, I had “anger” issues. When I lost my temper, it was ugly. To say that I exceeded the “problem” child degree is a direct understatement. I was in many fights with many people and I did not discriminate. As stated, it was ugly. My uncle brought forward a joke of a suggestion to my parents. Well, that is what the surrounding family thought- “you have to be joking?” He suggested my enrollment in the Martial Arts to learn discipline, self-esteem and focus. Looking back, it was the best thing anybody could have ever done for me. My first style, there have been seven total, was the ATA Tae Kwon Do Korean Karate. I made my ranks very quickly due to my ability to learn and perfect the Kata’s moves. Second, I trained in limalama, also known as Lao, “No Ka OI” or “Indeed the Best”. “The Hands of Wisdom” styling was a cultural teaching of the island life. For a young Southern California surfer, this was perfect. I was fortunate to learn from the only west coast Master (in that day- we are talking about the '60's). In this style, it was possible to break without leaving any form of bruising or sever. My third style was a natural transition, as I learned Kenpo. I decided my training required a course change and began simultaneous training in Judo and Aikedo. The nature behind Aikedo, with it’s throws, falls and mainly defensive form enhanced my Judo training. I felt I was missing form and fluidity in my movements. I began my training in East Shaolin Kung Fu, and I have always enjoyed the weapons training.
There is one style, I have experienced, and I will not speak of it. I have entered tournaments, some I have lost and others I have won. Many people I have spoken with, through the years, inquire about my belts, sashes, or degrees. I’ve not attained the highest in any one style, nor do I desire too. My training has always remained spiritual in nature for me. In the years of my training, my greatest luck came with my instructors. I have always, and in each style, learned from a Master. Their wisdoms and philosophies carried me through the years and I know they would each be proud of the fights I have walked away from, especially when compared to the individual they each had first met. To this day, I only have three fights I am ashamed for my participation. Each ended up in a place it should have never seen.

I bring this up because last weekend I had coffee with an old friend. One who knew my past, only from his presence. I am not proud of this time, but I do think about it.
That was the rougher side.

Reach

2 Comments:

Blogger Seven said...

Isn't it a powerful concept to know you have the power to hurt, but also the corresponding power to wage peace. It is a concept foreign to many, but I feel it is probably well understood at this point in your life.
I think so much of our aggression has to do with fear. Solving the fear through acquiring your considerable skills deflects that fear and leads to your understanding of peace and its price.
Ronald Reagan understood didn't he?
I lean strongly toward these ideals of peace and understanding through respect of strength and ability.
Few understand the personal price of power and its yield of peace.
Very thought provoking post.

Sun Mar 12, 07:25:00 PM PST  
Blogger T.H. Elliott said...

Very thought provoking indeed.

I got up to a brown belt in Taekwondo, but then I quit because of the sparring. I was a tall skinny guy, and just wasn't coordinated enough.

I've had anger issues all my life, haven't gotten in fights in a long time, but I've been thinking of getting back into marshal arts, to de-stress. Maybe Yoga.

Mon Mar 13, 06:55:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home