Name:
Location: California, United States

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Last night I thought

Hello All,
I am home and about ready to finalize my Active Duty Tour by filing the finishing paper work at the base. Last night I was sitting and thinking of days gone by, then memories of old friends entered my thoughts. How are they now? What are they doing? Would they be surprised, knowing “the previous me” and seeing “the me” that is now?

Pastor was a high school friend, just beyond the acquaintance level. Should he have asked for help, I certainly would’ve responded. I did not know Pastor outside of school, nor did I know or run in his crowd. You see, we had a culturally diverse friendship- but a friendship non-the-less. Last year was my high-school reunion and during that time of festivity I learned of Pastor’s passing. He died some time shortly after our graduation. He died of a disease, famous for striking a particular culture. It hit me then, and I can not explain why, but I remembered him last night.

I wondered last night of his life’s direction, had it not been shortened. I imagined his success from knowing his drive, enthusiasm, and personality. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks- Tony.

Tony and I were close friends through high-school. Unfortunately, Tony did not graduate- to the best of my memory. Tony passed away at an earlier age than Pastor. Tony was an avid drag-racer; in a town full of motor-heads.

The little city where we all grew up was rated “Number Three in the nation” by the national magazines for auto-sport hobbyists- and cruising was the draw. Imagine a 3.5 mile, four lane road full of people. I’m not just speaking of the bumper to bumper traffic, but the side-walks were full of those claiming their position for the night’s activities- thousands and thousands of people.

This is only a small view into my high-school years. When I was not practicing skating, surfing, with the band, or just hanging out; I was a Motor-Head!

Last night, some friends and I hung out again.

Reach

3 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

Hi Reach,

I think that happens to all of us. I know that a couple of people that I went to school with have passed and it is pretty sad, especially because we are so young. But just remember to live your best life. That's all we can do! Hope you're ok. :0)

Thu Oct 12, 04:34:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Valerie said...

I think about my brother like that all the time.

he'd be 36. I always wonder what he'd be doing now had he not gone on his Senior trip to Mexico.

i'm glad you hung out with some old friends. They usually are the best. Mine are. :)

Thu Oct 12, 09:17:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Valerie said...

and that includes Holly. :) We've been friends since 2nd grade. :)

Thu Oct 12, 09:19:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home